Priority Area: Education
Strategies to Improvement
✎ Cradle-to-Career Goal
- Educating the public on the broad impacts of students dropping out of school and the benefits of completing high school and advancing to post-secondary education
- Engaging parents and the community as partners in efforts to improve students throughout their educational careers
- Providing adult intervention, tutoring and mentorship to students
- Addressing the social and economic needs of families that impact educational success
- Setting higher goals for educational and career achievement in the community
- Educating and training the workforce for existing local career opportunities and attract new high-demand jobs to the area
- Fostering entrepreneurship and incorporating training that provides students with the skills to create their own jobs
To learn more, visit Education
Reading at grade level by third grade is one of the greatest predictors of children’s success in school, their likelihood of going to college, and their future earning potential. In support of the Countywide Vision and the regional goal of supporting every child from cradle to career, the Vision2Read initiative is a year-long campaign designed to: Focus attention on the importance of reading, highlight literacy-related programs and services throughout San Bernardino County, and connect people to available literacy resources and/or volunteer opportunities. Vision2Read invites all of San Bernardino County to join this effort and help “raise the bar” for literacy in our community and advance our efforts to achieve the Countywide Vision.
Visit www.Vision2Read.com for more information.
“Early Warning! Why Reading by the End of Third Grade Matters,” A KIDS COUNT Special Report from the Annie E. Casey Foundation, 2010.